I thought I would share some closet tips with you that I wrote up for a closet organization event I participated in this last week. These are some basic tips and tricks to help keep everything in good condition and order. Enjoy!
1. It is important to see what you have to wear so make sure that everything is visible.
2. If you store your shoes in boxes either use a clear box or label the outside of the box (with picture if possible) if you are not using a clear container.
3. Make sure the correct types of hangers are being used. For heavier items such as blazers and heavy jackets use wood hangers or padded hangers. Lighter pieces such as blouses, dresses and lightweight jackets use wide plastic hangers.
4. Try to arrange clothing into the same category. If you have different clothes for work and weekends group them accordingly. Once you have done that then organize them by similar items. Such as, all long sleeved shirts should be hung together and then do the same thing with short-sleeved shirts and so on.
5. Always fold knit items to keep them from stretching and losing their shape.
6. For folded items keep all like items together. Make sure that there is enough room at the top of the shelf to be able to easily reach your hand in and take an item out.
7. Instead of tossing your jewelry into a drawer where it can get tangled use an accessory drawer insert to keep each item in its own place or hang or place (depending on type of stand) a jewelry stand in your closet so pieces can be hung and kept separate to avoid knots.
8. If you change your closet over according to seasons before you put anything into storage make sure it is clean. Invisible spills can oxidize into visible stains if they are not cleaned off.
9. Items being stored need to be in a dark, dry, ventilated place in your home that remains at a pretty consistent temperature.
10. Do not store your clothes in plastic bags because they can trap moisture. Use a canvas garment bag.